Thursday, March 11, 2010

TDY Day 41: Communication breakdowns

It can't be a good sign for a mom to not know her daughter is taking karate until she comes home from school with her newly earned orange belt. That happened to me yesterday.

I am proud to say, however, that I was quite aware that Lily is taking soccer class after school.

The intimidating goalie...


...in action. I guess no one bothered to tell Lily about keeping her eye on the ball.

And the last in our communication breakdown examples from this evening -- we were playing a puzzle where you match a word with the picture of that food. In my attempt to try to get her to sound out the word on my "pineapple" card, I thought it might be easier to have Lily start with the "apple" part, which might be familiar to her. Here's what happened next:
  • Lily: Apple.
  • Me: OK, so look back at the beginning of the word. What does it start with?
  • Lily: P.
  • Me: OK, so sound it out.
  • Lily: Papple. What's a papple?!?

No comments: