Saturday, May 21, 2011

Oh, Amalia

I just ran across a picture of Amalia as a baby taking a bath in our kitchen sink. Seeing her playful eyes and standy-uppy hair, I thought, "We should have known."

Case in point: Last night as I was trying to get her to fall asleep after much book reading and song singing--and with Lily long since asleep on the other side of me--we had the following dialogue:

  • Me: It's time to go to sleep.
  • Amalia: (calmly replying, holding up her left hand, palm-side up) I don't have to go to sleep. 
  • Me: Really? Why not? 
  • Amalia: Because I'm a waker. 
  • Me: 
  • Amalia: Lily's a sleeper. And you're a sleeper. But I'm a waker. 
  • Me: Hmmm. 
Apparently Andy had had the same conversation with her the previous night.

Then again, there is a helpful aspect to her independence. This morning as I was making breakfast, Amalia went out the back door into our backyard. When I poked my head out to see what she was doing, she was standing there in her nightgown with a plastic baggie on each hand. 
  • Me: What are you doing?
  • Amalia: I'm picking up poops!
And sure enough, there next to her was a third plastic bag quite full of dog poop. 

I guess we'll keep her around. 

No comments: