Friday, September 27, 2013

Butterfly migration

 
To celebrate the release of their caterpillars-turned-butterflies this week, the kindergarten classes had a schoolwide butterfly parade today.
Amalia learned more--and constantly talked--about monarch butterflies over the past two weeks than I think I've ever learned previously about them.
Did you know the caterpillars only eat milkweed? That boy butterflies have spots on them? That chrysalises have golden necklaces on the outside? That butterfly wings are wet when they hatch? That local monarchs migrate to Santa Cruz in the winter?
 Lily watching the parade with a friend lying inexplicably across her lap.


 Amalia's class.


 That cluster of monarchs is really a feeding frenzy around a box of popsicles.
 Andy was tickled by the height disparity between me and my co-room parent.
 Yes, I'm really a room parent.
 Chatting with the girl monarch.

How adorable is she?

No comments: