Sunday, February 23, 2014

Take a hike

Fresh off my vertigo last week, I decided to get some fresh air this weekend with an overnight backpacking trip.
 Andy stayed home with the girls while I drove about 2 hours north to Point Reyes.
 After we loaded up with our gear, our group was rewarded early with some spectacular ocean views.
 Low tide.
 This was my view most of the afternoon.
 Bass Lake
 We didn't hear it fall.
 That's Daniel, our fearless guide, in front. He's quite a naturalist and told us all the things we could forage along the trail. He got most excited about some miner's lettuce.
 More gorgeous views.
 After 5.5 miles, we finally made it to Wildcat camp.
 And then had to walk another mile down the beach.
 To this waterfall.
Which was totally worth it.
Freeze dried lasagna for dinner wasn't too bad. (Though my fellow campers raved about the Turkey Tetrazzini option.) The freeze-dried ice cream sandwich was even better (if not a bit crunchy).
Getting close to sunset.
 A group of visiting deer.
In case any of us was tempted.
 
 All packed up, ready to hike the five miles back this morning.
 A California newt. Very cute and apparently very toxic.
 Our group taking a breather on the trail. 

(And now I'm back home getting ready for tonight's red-eye to DC. I'm hoping all this exertion helps me sleep on the plane.)


No comments: