Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mother's little helpers

Just when I think my eardrums are going to bleed from all the whining, tattling, and tone-taking, the girls surprise me with moments of sweetness. Two recent examples:


Last week both girls were put on antibiotics due to another round of ear infections (speaking of bleeding eardrums). When we filled the prescriptions, I splurged and added cherry flavor to Lily's Omnicef to try to stave off her strong gag reflex. This led to an instance of her using her big-sister power for good: When I was trying to give Amalia her Augmentin, Lily piped up in a chipper voice to say, "Amalia, my medicine is so yummy! And I'll bet yours will taste even better!" 
(Now isn't that a helpful big sister?)


This morning, I knocked over a ceramic bowl in my bathroom and it broke into several not-fixable pieces (picture the "Mom always said, 'Don't play ball in the house'"/broken vase episode of The Brady Bunch). Tonight at dinner, Amalia asked me about the bowl, which I confirmed did indeed break.
Amalia: It was delicate.
Me: Yes.
Amalia: I'll fix it, Mommy.
Me: Oh, sweetie, thanks, but I don't think it can be fixed.
Amalia: Yes, I'll tape it!
Me: No, that won't really work.
Amalia: I'll buy you a new one, Mommy. A box-bowl. A box-bowl isn't delicate, so it won't break.
(I think she meant a bowl made out of cardboard, but I'm not sure.)

No comments: