Saturday, June 28, 2014

Still Impressed... and not

Once again, Lily dove right in to a very exotic dish I made this evening - Corn, Black Bean & Mango Salad. I am quite sure I would have turned my nose up at age 8 as Amalia at age 5 did tonight, but Lily had been prowling the kitchen as I prepped the salad, remarking how yummy it smelled, and did not appreciate when I placed the finished salad in the fridge to chill. Here are the visuals to dispel any doubt about just how un-kid-friendly-looking the dish is, followed by the similarly unfriendly ingredients.







3 cups (6 ears) fresh white corn off the cob, pan roasted
2 cups peeled & diced fresh mango
3/4 cup finely chopped (I used rings for flavor only) fresh red onion
1 cup diced fresh red bell pepper
1 seeded, ribs removed, minced fresh jalapeƱo
2 x 14.5 oz cans black beans (rinsed & drained - I used seasoned beans)
1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp freshly ground sea salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground chipotle chili pepper

***

To balance things a bit, I will add one amusing note from today:
[Setting: Post-archery practice & swimming lesson; 90° F; at 7-Eleven® getting Slurpees®]
Lily: Dad, can I have free chili and cheese?
Me: What?
Lily: See? It says "Free Chili & Cheese" right here.
Me: Oh, that's only free on the nachos, but you have to buy the chips. Do you want nachos with chili & cheese?
Lily: No. I just want the free chili & cheese. Can't I just do that?
Me: Let's just go with the Slurpee®, shall we?

No comments: