Monday, July 1, 2013

DC to CA: Day 6--Cheyenne, WY

 Heading out this morning, we stopped at the Crazy Horse Memorial. 
It's impressive, but sadly, it doesn't seem as though they've made much progress since I was here 27 years ago.
 Still, Andy and the girls enjoyed the visitor's center while I kept an eye on Jake bird. 

After many hours of driving (I guess I should just stipulate that phrase for all of my entries on this drive), we landed in Cheyenne. And imagine the luck! We ran into another jackelope.
I particularly enjoyed Lily's comment upon us arriving into Cheyenne (in a clearly disappointed tone), "Oh. I thought Wyo Ming was in China." I guess we hadn't said it out loud all day--she was just reading the signs and license plates. (How far did she think we were driving?!?)
But we pulled her out of her mild funk by going to a working bison ranch--the second largest in the U.S., as a matter of fact.
 And you could feed them!
 Bison slime. That's not a smile on my face. 
And then, even though the pony ride guy had already left for the day, the nice folks at the ranch were kind enough to take the girls out anyway.
 Lily rode Rainbow, who is 22 years old. Amalia's pony was Pirate, who only has one eye.


Checking out the big horses. 

Another good day of travel. Next stop: Salt Lake City. 

No comments: